Monday, June 16, 2008

Run Journal 6/15/2008

I hit the road this weekend, running a scenic 5.85 mile loop around a local lake. The route is hilly, to say at imageleast. During this Sunday afternoon I decided I would start posting a running journal entries. During my runs my mind wonders, nothing is sacred.

My Run Vitals
  • Distance 5.48 Miles
  • Heart Rate (Avg - 155 bpm, Max - 177 bpm)
  • Speed (Avg - 7.3 mph, Max - 9.2 mph)

My Gear

My Thoughts

  • I went on the South Beach Diet last year and lost 40lbs. <yeah>, but now I feel I am limiting my calories too much. I tracked my caloric intake last week using VidaOne Health & Fitness (I love this application, but more on that later). I noticed that on an average day, I was consuming only 2100 calories. I have dropped weight in the past by controlling calories, but now I am after BODY FAT. 2100 is simply not enough calories to support my current activity. In a normal week I will run three days, weight train three days, and play tennis a couple of times. I came across a blog a few weeks ago, Stronglifts.com. Mehdi gave me a simple formula to make sure I consume enough calories.
  • Eat. At least 18x your bodyweight in lbs. More if needed. Track your food intake using Fitday.
  • Protein. 2g per bodyweight in lbs. Might seem a lot, but your muscles need it for recovery.
      • My second driving thought was built on Mehdi's suggestion to use Fitday. I have used VidaOne Health & Fitness off and on for the past two years, but I decided to check out Fitday. I honestly didn't give the application a chance. I browsed, checking out features. I have decided that I am in the search for a new Health & Fitness Journal. Here are the features that I am looking for, that I can't seem to find. I am not going to waste time listing the normal stuff.
    • Web based application that has offline capabilities.
    • A mobile application that synchronizes over the air (OTA).
    • Offers Badges or Widgets to post in blogs, Facebook and other social networking sites. I would like be able to show my health & fitness goals, and progress towards my goals.

    I have looked into a few application, but so far nothing that suits my fancy. I would love to hear your suggestions and thoughts!

    del.icio.us Tags: ,

    Sphere: Related Content